F4U-1A Post 13: Still more engineering

After checking the size of the Quickboost R-2800, the parts count for this build has ballooned a bit. Vector to the rescue!

Compared to the Tamiya engine, there’s just no comparison. 

Mr Surfacer 1500 prepares the surface while also temporarily giving the machine a fearsome Steampunk-Vader vibe.

The ignition ring gets a pass of Alclad Aluminum.

While we’re at it, the cylinders get a gloss treatment, courtesy of Tamiya X-22 clear gloss over the black, and then once that had a bit to settle in, Alclad Aluminum.

To prep for losing it’s all black bad-assery, I carefully masked the ignition ring with small bits of Tamiya tape. Now it looks a bit like an Elizabethan nobleman.

Mr Paint Neutral Grey, MRP-141, gives a pretty good gear reduction housing finish. I built up the color slowly in thin layers to hopefully give some depth and dimension to the finish.

The exhaust pipes get a light treatment of XF-64, Red Brown, allowing the black to sneak in here and there, and then a brushing of reddish oxide and umber pigment. These won’t be visible at all from the front, but hopefully there will be tantalizing glimpses through the open cooling flaps on the cowl. I’m not going to detail the back of the engine beyond this, since there will be literally no way to see it. 

Even this was probably overkill, but I used it as an opportunity to do a proof of concept for a potential future build I’m considering.

Assembled, posing with the Tamiya engine (top left) and Quickboost (right). I’m pretty happy with where we’re headed. There’s really no comparison at all with the kit engine, and while the Quickboost is really nice if small, the Vector is just that much nicer.

A note about assembly: I added the front row of cylinders first, placing and then gluing with a tiny dab of thin CA on the backside, where you won’t see any errant globs. 

The back row is a bit trickier because of the exhaust manifold. What I figured out is that it’s better to alternate cylinder/exhaust pipe and work your way around so you can make sure everything is aligned correctly before committing. The push rod procedure is the same as with the Quickboost (back in November).

Finally, with the harness on and a black wash. The harness is 0.010″ copper wire, annealed and then CA’d in place. This is fussy and time consuming, but not actually all that hard. The harness clips are wine bottle foil, trimmed into super thin strips, which get folded over the wires. I’m pretty happy with this.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *